New Book: Puppy Socialization: What It Is and How to Do It
Puppy Socialization: What It Is and How to Do It defines and demystifies the most important thing you can do for your puppy: socialization. The authors don’t just tell you what you need to know about socialization. They show you with dozens of photographs and exclusive linked videos. You’ll see other owners socialize their puppies under the guidance of a nationally certified dog trainer and behavior consultant. These real-life examples of socialization show you what to do when things go well and when they don’t go so well. Readers will learn about:
- The magical time. Did you know that there is a special time in a puppy’s life when he is primed to accept new things? The authors tell you when that time is, when that socialization window starts closing and how a little effort by an owner during that time can save heartache later.
- Canine body language. Puppies and dogs are talking all the time—with their body language. Learn to tell when a puppy or dog is relaxed and happy, a bit nervous about something, or outright scared.
- Mythbusting. There’s a lot of advice out there about socialization and not all of it is good. Some common myths can actually cause puppies harm. The authors give you the most up-to-date information on puppy socialization and put some harmful myths to rest.
- Socializing a puppy during the COVID-19 pandemic. Puppies have so much to get used to: people, environments, noises, and much more. The authors provide strategies for keeping humans and puppies safe while socializing, even during the pandemic.
- What supplies are needed during socialization. The authors provide checklists of things owners need when socializing a puppy at home and away from home.
The authors teamed up to share this information with readers because most people don’t know exactly what socialization is or how to do it. And both of them see the fallout of socialization gone wrong all the time.
Rogers and Anderson each bring their own perspective to this groundbreaking work. Rogers is certified through the Certification Council for Professional Dog Trainers as a Dog Trainer and also a Behavior Consultant. She specializes in behavior modification for fearful and aggressive dogs and the prevention of fear and aggression through socialization. Anderson is an award-winning writer who is passionate about giving owners validated information so they can make informed training choices. Together they created this unique, visual guide into the realm of puppy socialization. Every reader will learn something new.